Friday, December 2, 2011

Logan high seniors prepare for graduation

By Kristi Lambert

Many consider graduation day a rite of passage. Garbed in the tradition cap and gown, graduating seniors will stride up to the podium to accept their high school diploma. It is the day that seniors across the nation look forward to throughout their entire high school career. On May 30, 2012, Logan High School seniors will sit together as one by one they are called to get their diplomas. Until then many have already begun to plan their future.

“I’m planning on going to Utah State and going into law,” said McKenzee Burbank, a senior softball and soccer player at LHS.

D.J. Nelson has been recruited to play quarterback for Utah State University. He committed to the deal on Sept. 25. Nelson’s spot on the team will be held for him after he has returned from serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“I’ll attend a semester of college, probably just at USU, and then serve an LDS mission after that,” said Spencer Knowles, LHS’s student body vice president.

Online, LHS has a link for counseling on their main page that walks students through their high school years. There is a list designed to help seniors stay on track throughout the year. In order to prepare for college, many of LHS’s seniors are filling out applications, taking the SAT or ACT, looking for scholarships or working part-time jobs to earn money.

“I’ve been taking some college classes that I can get out of the way,” Brittany Lambourn said. “With my dad’s job I get half tuition and I’m going for the Ambassador Scholarship. So if I don’t get that I would have to work part-time.”

Lambourn has applied to USU and plans to major in elementary education because she loves teaching and working with kids. When she was younger, Lambourn dreamed of working as a veterinarian.

“I wanted to be a vet because I love animals. Then I realized I couldn’t deal with blood, so no,” she said.

Knowles also wanted to be a veterinarian at a young age. He has always wanted to be in a profession where he can help others.

“When I was I little I wanted to help sick animals. That’s still my second option,” he said. “Now I’m looking into going into physical therapy. I tore my ACL so I had to go through physical therapy and I was like, man it would fun to help people get back into shape.”

As a part-time employee at KFC, Knowles has been saving up money to pay for college and a mission.

“I’ve filled out applications pretty much anywhere to see where I can get accepted,” Knowles said. “All the ones in Utah. I want to try and stay close to home.”

Besides college and a career, Knowles had bigger goals in mind.

“I want to be a successful person and I want to grow up debt free. When I settle down, I want to have a family and be a father,” he said.

When it comes to walking down the aisle to receive their high school diploma, Knowles and Lambourn shared similar thoughts.

“I’m really excited just because I’m ready to move on because people act really little in high school. I’m just ready,” Lambourn said.

“I’m looking forward to it as an accomplishment, but it makes me nervous to think about it,” Knowles said. “Go to college and grow up and take on life. I’ll eventually have to move out from the parents and take on the big world.”

(D. Nicholas)

No comments:

Post a Comment